Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Paper Purse


When I saw the wrapper purses at uncommongoods.com, I wanted to buy one for my friend for Christmas. But they were always out of stock so I was determined to learn how to make one. After looking at several pictures, I could not figure out if the rows were woven together or sewn together. There were lots of instructions on the web for making the paper chains but not for how to attach the chains.

And then I found this site! I'm so glad she was kind enough to post the instructions. I couldn't wait to save up enough candy wrappers or chip bags...but I do have a ton of catalogs around my house! And I'm glad I was able to save a couple from the landfill and turn them into something useful.

So I decided to use the colorful pages from catalogs laminated with clear contact paper to make my purse. I know... laminating each strip of paper was quite a chore, but there was no way I was going to take the time to make a purse and then have it fall apart the first time it got wet. The contact paper did make it thicker though, so sewing up the bottom of the purse wasn't that easy and didn't turn out as perfectly as I would have liked. But my friend loved the purse and that's all that matters. It took me forever to make so it ended up being a birthday present rather than a Christmas present.

Maybe next time (if I ever attempt this craft again) I will try a flat bottom purse. I've also read that some people use clear packing tape to laminate the paper strips -- now that sounds like a pain! I'm thinking that a purse made from newspaper would be pretty cool though.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing a great job, CraftyAnna. Keep up the good work. As you probably know, I'm knew as well. Let me know if you find out anything new and I'll also keep you in the know. I really love that purse by the way and I think a newspaper one would be fantastic!
-Jacqueline

Anonymous said...

Super blog! I really like that purse. I'll bet the receipient did too!

Sleepy Cat Hollow said...

Great job on your blog.

Was going to ask you how long it took to make that purse...but then I saw "it took FOREVER" ~ LOL! Never mind! :)

Rosebud Collection said...

I have never seen a purse like that in my life..What a job..Beautiful.

Sarah said...

Try making the whole purse and then covering it in clear vinyl - It would save a ton of time and still serve the same purpose as the contact paper

Anna said...

Thank you for the great idea, Sarah! I'll have to try that if I ever make another one. When I started this blog it was going to be for all of my crafy endeavors but crocheting has clearly taken over my crafting time!